Monday, October 12, 2009

Finally, now I understand

There were times when even the smallest of the gifts were the most cherished ones and there are times when even the costliest gifts seem so petty. How even a comic book was the most cherished gift I got in my childhood and now even the 50k bike was not good enough for me.
How even the 10Rupee note was once so gratifying for the new year celebration and now even a 1000 seems so scrimpy.
There were times when I thought that love is as pure as sapphire and then there was a time when I learnt that love was just a profane desire.
There were times when even the biggest of disputes/fights that I had with friends in the morning got resolved by the evening and then there are times when even the smallest of altercations have taken years and still there are no resolutions.
There were times when I was taught that to lie/cheat is the biggest crime and how now I cheat myself and others to earn the green bucks.
I have grown up and in the transition from a child, I have lost somethings and acquired somethings. What I have lost is the innocence and acquired is the ego. What I have lost is the elegance and acquired is the ostentation. What I have lost is the love and acquired is the envy. 
What I have lost is WE and gained is ME.

8 comments:

nani manna said...

This is the irony of life. The fulfillment of little wants,little desires which once used to give us immense pleasure in our small world of childhood days, no longer able to do so, as our lives become more & more complicated, when we grow up with the passing of the time.But the memories of those little pleasures of our childhood days, remain as the most cherished treasures of our lives. Those amongst us,who are able to keep the innocence of their childhood even in the midst of temptation & rat race for survival, are the most fortunate & happiest lot under the sun.
Thanks Rajat , for sharing such beautiful thoughts with us.

Prem Mohan said...

An introspection deeper than skin. But the wisdom is to remain pure and innocent like a child even at an advance stage. Wisdom is to gain without losing. It is no barter.
What I am afraid is that tomorrow's grown up ones will have nothing to remember about their childhood; their innocence is being lost from their first smile.

leena said...

Amazing blog Rajat. We have all gone through this stage, and we are still learning.

adi said...

Rajat,,its really amazing,,n honest at the same time,,v all feel this way at some point of our lives,,i tink if v r able to retain that innocence,,v used to have during our childhood half of our battle is one ,,but then ,,the trauma is that ,,even if u want to stay good and innocent the world ,,doesnot lets u b that forever n it really takes hell lot of guts ,determination and strong will to resist the wordly temptation,,n remain simple,santoshi n honest,,being human that v r most of us cave in to such temptations,,ur blogs makes me remember a song v usd to sing as children.".Bachche man k sachche sari jag ki aankh k taare........

Jess Sikand said...

And, you'll see this all over again when you have children. Then when you are raising them all that wondrous innocence will come back to you.

Talpita Chouhan said...

Excellently written...
Shown d transition very nicely..!!

Geet said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog as this led me to come across yours- they are enlightening.

Priyanka said...

The bitter truth. But this is what we pay for being 'grown-ups'.
If you look around, what our parents had, we never did. What we have/had, next generations won't. Its a process. No one can escape. We are moving fast. And losing purity even faster. This is what is termed as growth, in present context. Sad, but fact. Nothing we can do to change it, or can we?