Sunday, March 20, 2011

Teach For India

This month I'll finish my tenure with Teach For India as a volunteer. Soon the kids will have their exams and all that they were taught will be tested. My test still won't be over as I was not trying to teach them just maths or english, I was trying to motivate them to learn. The lesson I wanted to imbibe in their hearts was of hard work and honesty. They'll fail the day they feel that they can't do it and I'll fail if as a teacher I let them believe it. My footprints might be lost in the sand of time but one day I want them to rise and mark their footprints, become a good human being and serve their motherland. The rising digits in my salary bring me no solace, it's just a need but an hour spent in teaching these kids becomes my hour of serenity.
Probably now will be the time for me to say goodbye to my kids... with a heavy heart I have to move on and find out a way through which I can reach out to other kids and give them the same lesson and move on and on and on.

I have miles to go before I sleep,
Stay awake with me for a few nights,
Walk with me - a few miles,
Help me as I have a long bridge to be built,
Help me.... please TEACH.


P.S.- Those who read this and want to appreciate me or my efforts... just try to understand I don't do it for anyone, I do it for myself. This is how I buy happiness for myself. I'll try to mend your heart because this is how my heart is contented. I'll be your friend because I see that compassion in you that I crave for. I teach them because I desire to see honest countrymen in my country, who don't rob, rape, kill, burn my nation, my country, my motherland.
Educate a child and I'll be indebted.

3 comments:

Priyanka said...

Mind if I post the link on my FB page??

Beyond said...

Priyanka- this one probably could not get me arrested so go ahead and if I get one volunteer.. a million thanks and more :)

Beyond Horizon said...

Still waiting!!!
:)